Tuesday, May 15, 2012

North Carolina and Same Sex Marriage

On May 8, 2012 61% of North Carolina voters approved Amendment One (Marriage Amendment) which makes marriage between one man and one woman the only legal union recognized by the state. Television, local media, social media ran campaign against and for the amendment for months.  

Recognizing or disapproving gay marriage is a complex issue.

 

Considering traditional child bearing families, religion, and nature it is common sense to recognize marriage between a man and a woman only.  However, pro gay marriage proponents beg for equality. Furthermore several scientific studies strengthen the claim of homosexuals as these studies imply that sexual orientation is the result of physiological factors and not necessarily a choice. Some quotes from Wikipedia

 

  • Gay men and straight women have, on average, equally proportioned brain hemispheres. Lesbian women and straight men have, on average, slightly larger right brain hemispheres.
  • The VIP SCN nucleus of the hypothalamus is larger in men than in women, and larger in gay men than in heterosexual men.
  • Gay men's brains respond differently to fluoxetine, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.
  • The functioning of the inner ear and the central auditory system in lesbians and bisexual women are more like the functional properties found in men than in non-gay women (the researchers argued this finding was consistent with the prenatal hormonal theory of sexual orientation)
  • Gay and non-gay people's brains respond differently to two putative sex pheromones
  • The amygdala, a region of the brain, is more active in gay men than non-gay men when exposed to sexually arousing material.

Maybe sometimes in future the “common sense” will change and common men and common women will accept the gay marriages. Though completely acceptable today, inter racial marriages became legal only in 1967 by a US Supreme court decision. Maybe legalization of gay marriage will follow the same path.

 

The outcome of referendum disappointed 39% NC voters and many more in other states. However labeling North Carolina a dogmatic state and Governor Perdue’s statement that “approval of Amendment One made North Carolina look like Mississippi” disappoints me more.

 

A question to broader readers around the world:

    • Do you accept gay people and approve gay marriage?

 

PS: If you don’t like this controversial topic, enjoy some pictures of beautiful North Carolina here.

28 comments:

Anjuli said...

I have found it interesting to watch how 'democracy' plays out here in the States- in California they voted for proposition 8 - the majority voted- but then a short while later it was overturned by a court. so I am curious about what democracy actually means? I am curious of the benefit of voting if the vote can be overturned. Is this true democracy?

There are some things which are voted in which I don't care for- but I figure- okay the majority voted it so we will just have to work towards getting another vote or overturning it. But to sneak to the courts and get the courts to overturn a majority vote- well that seems a bit like play the sore loser. In otherwords, as long as the vote goes my way- I will be fine with democracy, but if the vote goes in a way I don't like- then 'wah wah wah...I want it to be overturned'

M'Bai Madrasi said...

It is indeed a topic to be discussed,,Long way for India to be like here in states..Here inter caste marriage seems a controversy,leave alone homosexuality.Though Legalised, *being Gay* is still something that surprises society..jus like some mistake committed

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Great to have another post from you, I have missed you.

Also of much debate here in England where gay couples are allowed to enter into a Civil Partnership but not to marry. Personally, I'm basically a live and let live kind of person who has no argument whatsoever with the gay/lesbian community and if they wish to declare their love in this way then who am I to oppose them?

However that said ........

I think a small majority of the gay community are arguing for arguing sake as a Civil Partnership, as far as I am aware, gives them the same legal rights as a married heterosexual couple and I think they should question why they want the right to a religious service. If it is because they wish to confirm their love before God then that is one thing but to fight for the right to have the 'big dress' and all of that is, in my opinion, another. Hmm, yet again how many non-religious heterosexual couples marry in churches etc just for the experience and don't gay couples also have that right?

Rika said...

I do approve it. And this info is new to me I've never seen so much analysis on gay people. Its gr8 that its finally legal for them. Welcome back!

Usha said...

A, Welcome back. Hope to see more regular posts soon. :)

About this topic I have not thought much..for me marriage can be between man and woman but I see that different sexual preferences are strongly desired by many people...If they wish so then let them have their preference and we need to respect it.

Usha said...

A, NC pictures are beautiful.

Amrit said...

I agree Anjuli. I think Capitalism is another name of democracy. People with money win. Democracy is India also based on who spends more money. You know how it works in the USA. But majority may not be always right either.

Amrit said...

Yes you are right. In India caste, religion, financial status, class and in some cases horoscope plays a role in selecting the right partner.

Amrit said...

PW, I will try to be regular now. With Amendment one here in NC, they lose legal rights too.

Amrit said...

Rads,

Thanks. I will try to be regular now.

Amrit said...

Yes, regular posts..at least once a week. :))) I have same opinion like yours.

Amrit said...

Some pictures of Outer Banks and some near my home :))

Renu said...

earlier I wasnt in favour of it as I find it unnatural.but since i found that one of my most lovable friend is gay, my thoughts changed...

But still I dont think that they should adopt the children as a couple, because then the children when grow up will find many awkward questions and situations in life.

Navjot Kashyap said...

Nice to see you back. Hope that you are regular.
As far as gay marriages are concerned, I am in favor of it. If someone wants it, we should respect his choice.

Amrit said...

Yes. Knowing someone changes a person. Good part is you are an open minded person and willing to change opinion. I personally did not accept earlier but now I don't care.

Amrit said...

Hoping to be regular Navjot. :))

Shobha said...

Nice to see your post after a long time..
I condemn gay marriages... will not even like to discuss on this topic.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I can accept it I guess. I won't promote it or go against it. It's not a crime to be different. In a democracy the majority decides. So it's just a matter of time till the majority turns in favour of gay marriages.

Welcome back...Now I am going to see the pictures of NC. :)

hamaarethoughts.com said...

Seriously I have nothing much to say abt same sex marriages and definitely believe in opposite sex theory ..rest when we play and mess with nature the results are bad ..
its nice to see you after months

regards

Amrit said...

You views are accepted Shobha. :)) A post after a long but hope to continue.

Amrit said...

May be the majority will decide so. I am neither against nor for them but biological factors and equality consideration are important for me.

Amrit said...

Yes, playing with nature is bad but they believe it is natural. Born like that. It is not the choice they make.

Back after months and most likely next post will be a light subject.

aarkay said...

Courts may legalise same-sex marriage, to me homosexual liaison seems a deviant behaviour contrary to the accepted norms and mores.Can't society do something about it ?

Amrit said...

Aarkay: Majority did vote against it in several states in the USA. But people who think same sex marriage is okay, they also think it is natural and seek acceptance.

Destination Infinity said...

I think, people come to want whatever is restricted. Tomorrow, if there is a campaign that humans marrying animals is not allowed by the state and the state is impugning on human (animal?) rights, etc many people might consider marrying animals just for the heck of it (and bcos its not allowed).

Destination Infinity

Amrit said...

Rajesh, animals and humans are different. But I agree people tend to want what is restricted. But is that really restricted?

Gays Right said...

I discovered your web site via Google while looking for a related subject, lucky for me your web site came up, its a great website. I have bookmarked it in my Google bookmarks. You really are a phenomenal person with a brilliant mind!

Tanvi said...

Everyone has the right to live their life the way they wish to. If it doesn't harm the next person in any way then they should simply mind their own business.

∞ © tanvii.com ∞