Vacations are fun but some say vacations are stressful. Does vacation mean beach or a trip to mountains? A few consider lazing on a pool a perfect vacation but hiking and theme parks are also popular. For me a fun vacation means:
- Visiting new places: Exploring new cities, viewing architecture of the city’s buildings, getting sense of culture and tasting local food always provides opportunities to learn something new and interesting. It reiterates the vastness and the glory of our wonderful world.
- Choice to be isolated or party: At times one needs to introspect and spend time with oneself. Having an option to isolate from the crowd and relax is a prerequisite. But on the same time, a party is always fun.
- Reading: Reading and relaxation are kind synonym. No wonder both words start with an ‘R’. Reading an interesting book is a great pastime. Unfortunately busy life, television, internet and parties takes away our reading time.
- No work: Does it need explanation?
- No driving: In the USA, car is the most common (and cheapest) means to travel wherever possible. Driving for a day to reach a tourist place is not uncommon among Americans. Driving could be tiring and boring. Boring driving is not part of my vacation.
- No internet or cell phone:- I love internet but a couple of weeks without internet is a good break from anxiety of constantly checking work emails, personal emails, Facebook status messages or blog comments. No emails or phone calls asking help. No meeting reminders. No depressing news from around the world.
- Wife: No internet and no cell phone also keep away emails, text messages and phone orders of the dearest wife. No dictation of a long list of things to do. No phone calls with pressing emergency to complete household chores. And on a cruise, one can possibly find a place to hide in the library or on the deck and enjoy the sea.
I am sure one of these applies to you too. Which one? What makes your vacation fun?