“You are so selfish. Think about me and the future when you talk about environment”, my daughter said implying that I am not environment friendly.
She is right. Probably all of us need to be more conscious and responsible towards protecting environment.
My daughter had a reason to say it.
I had quizzed her on plant cells, “What is chlorophyll?”
Her quick reply, “It is the green pigment in the plant cells.”
I continued, “How does chlorophyll help us?”
Diligently she stated,” Using sunlight, it converts CO2 to O2 and we need O2 to BREATHE and LIVE.”
Right then, my daughter started asking me questions, “Dad, if we keep cutting woods and trees, who will convert CO2?”
My reply, “Oh don’t worry about it. There are still a lot of woods.”
She did not give up, “We are cutting trees very fast and I read cars and power plants emit a lot of CO2.”
My defense, “We need to cut some trees for space to make buildings and for wood to build houses, energy and paper. We need to generate power for living and cars for traveling. If we don’t do it, we will not make enough money. No television or IPAD then.”
“But are not we shifting the balance? What will we do with the money if we don’t exist?”
I did not have an answer.
“Nothing will happen in my life frame.”
“Dad, you are so selfish. How about my life? How about my children?”
My daughter is right. The equation is simple. Cars, coal, industry, planes, fossil fuels, and power plants generate CO2. On one hand CO2 has increased and on the same time reduction in woods has declined the conversion of CO2 to O2. This led to increased levels of CO2 in atmosphere by 35% in last 100 years. Increased CO2 level amplifies the greenhouse effect and heat stays trapped in the environment which causes Global Warming. Some clear effects of Global Warming:
- In first week of August, local meteorologist Mike Moss announced that new NORMALS are here. New NORMAL HIGH is around 1 degree higher. 1 degree higher in just one decade.
- Top ten hottest years have been recorded after 1990.
- Global sea levels have increased by 6.7 inches and rate of increase has doubled in last ten years.
- Per NASA Greenland lost 150 to 250 cubic kilometers (36 to 60 cubic miles) of ice per year between 2002 and 2006, while Antarctica lost about 152 cubic kilometers (36 cubic miles) of ice between 2002 and 2005.
- Extreme weather. Shorter springs and shorter autumns.
While at macro level governments are working on clean energy, it is worth reiterating some simple steps that we all know:
- Car pool. Less we drive better for environment
- Reduce and recycle: Reduce the use of resources and recycle as much as possible
- Plant trees
- Turn off the switch if you are not using electricity
- Use less hot water
- Improve insulation
- Reduce heating and cooling
One may think that a small saving from one individual does not count. It DOES. Every part of chlorophyll counts in a plant cell. Every piece of concrete counts in a building. Every drop in an ocean counts.
We build a house and decorate with furniture, wall hangings, paintings, accessories, and paint our house with different colors. Like our house we have a beautiful planet with woods, trees, beaches, oceans, mountains, glaciers, parks, rivers and lakes. As responsible parents, we shall try to preserve this beautiful world for our children and our decedents.
Let us not give a chance to our children to call us selfish.
Author’s Note:- This post (besides the picture) is transcript of my presentation on environment. Please feel free to add if I missed a point.
Related Articles (My own)